Bournemouth Pier from East Cliff
Bournemouth Pier from East Cliff - Signed Mounted Print 20" x 16" ready to place in your frame. (mount/border size 2.75").
East Cliff beach is one of the two primary Bournemouth beaches and occupies the beach strand from just east of Bournemouth Pier up to Boscombe pier.
A 100 foot wooden jetty was completed on 2nd August 1856. It was replaced in 1861 by a 1000 foot wooden pier designed by George Rennie. This opened on 17th September 1861 having cost £3,418.
The piles were replaced in cast iron in 1866 and the ‘T’ shaped head was swept away by a gale in January 1867. In 1876, a storm rendered the structure unfit for steamers. It was demolished and replaced by a temporary construction in time for the 1877 season.
Eugenius Birch designed the 838 foot iron pier at a cost of £21,600. It opened on 11th August 1880. Covered shelters and a bandstand were added to the pier-head in 1855, followed by extensions in 1894 and 1905. The new landing stage increased the pier’s length to 1,000 feet.
Breached as an anti-invasion measure in 1940, the repaired pier was re-opened by 1946. The pier-head was reconstructed in 1950 and a concrete substructure was built in 1960 to carry the new pier theatre. (click image for larger view).